Summer Reading Challenge
What is the summer reading challenge?
Since 1948, the Ouachita Parish Public Library has challenged its patrons to read as much as they can during the summer. What started as a reading club for children has expanded to a months-long, themed-celebration for all ages. Children, teens and adults receive fun incentives for reading and completing community challenges.
Who can join the summer reading challenge?
Anyone with a Ouachita Parish Public Library card! There are three age categories for the summer reading challenge, with different page goals, prizes and programs. Children ages 12 and under can join the Child Category, teens ages 13-17 can join the Teen Category, and adults 18 and up can join the Adult Category. If you do not have a Ouachita Parish Public Library card, you can apply for a free Library card at any branch. Click here for details on how to get a Library card.
When does the summer reading challenge begin and end?
The 2023 challenge runs from June 1 through July 31.
How do I win prizes?
Win prizes by READING! Prizes are available while supplies last. Log your pages in the summer reading portal.
- 250 pages: certificate of completion, badge book, and a pencil
- 500 pages: rubber duck and cup
- 750 pages: book, drawstring bag, and automatic entry into the grand prize bicycle drawings
- 500 pages: drawstring bag and stress ball
- 1000 pages: tumbler and a-maze-ing handheld game
- 1500 pages: virtual ticket for entry into the grand prize drawings, book, and a coupon from a local restaurant
- 500 pages: seed paper bookmark
- 1000 pages: collectible canvas tote bag
- 1500 pages: virtual ticket for entry into the end-of-summer grand prize drawings
End-of-Summer Grand Prizes
There are four end-of-summer grand prize packs for both teens and adults which are provided by the Friends of the Ouachita Public Library. For children, the Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita is donating 10 bicycles through their Bikes for Books program. These bikes are for the end-of-summer grand prize drawing for kids who complete the summer reading challenge. There are multiple ways to enter into the end-of-summer grand prize drawing:
- Read! Kids who read 750 pages will be entered into the grand prize drawings, and teens and adults who read 1500 pages will receive a virtual ticket to enter into their choice of the four prize pack drawings for their age group.
- Complete the Challenge Actions! In the summer reading portal, log that you have completed the three Challenge Actions under the Activity Badges, and you will have a bonus entry into the grand prize drawing. The Challenge Actions are:
- Grow Nature. Plant something, learn about a plant, visit a garden or farm, or tell us how you appreciate nature!
- Grow Knowledge. Learn something new, teach something, tell us a fun fact, or tell us how else you grow knowledge!
- Grow Community. Visit a small business or explore a new part of your city like a park or museum, make a new friend or connect with an existing one, join a book club, or tell us about some aspect of your local, extended, religious, school, online, etc. community!
- Attend a Library Program. Attend three Library programs at any of our branches.
- Vote for your favorite Top 6 Pick. For an additional entry into the end-of-summer grand prize drawings, read at least 2 of the Top 6 Picks and vote for your favorite book. In the summer reading portal, click on "Activity Challenges," and click on "Vote for your favorite Top 6 Picks." After voting, you will receive the secret code to enter into the summer reading portal.